CALIFORNIA STATE UNIVERSITY, SAN BERNARDINO
UNIVERSITY-WIDE ADMINISTRATIVE POLICIES AND PRACTICES --
PROCESS FOR THE REVIEW AND APPROVAL
This process applies to all university-wide administrative policies and practices presented to the Administrative Council for review.
Any proposed policies shall adhere to the guidelines set forth in the Chancellorís Office Executive Orders, State University Administrative Manual, and California Code of Regulations.
New Administrative Policies Should Include
- A title, e.g., Parking Policy
- Background statement
- Purpose of policy: e.g., "The purpose of this policy is. . ."
- Procedures, if any: e.g., who does what, when, how
- A signature page at the back of the proposed policy with the following:
- Responsible Office/Title of Officer: e.g., Parking Services/Parking Manager
- Reviewed by Administrative Council on Form field for date reviewed___________
- Approved by (President) Date: Form field for date approved___________
Revisions to Existing Administrative Policies
Indicate revisions using legislative format (redline/strikeout).
At end of policy, provide a brief summary of the revisions.
On signature page, indicate date of latest revision, e.g., Revised 6/16/97; Revised 8/7/98, etc.
Process for Approval
Unless there is a need for a more expeditious review and approval process, normally present draft of proposed policy to the Administrative Council for a first reading and discussion.
Proposed policy will be referenced in minutes of meeting and placed on the web page as a draft. Campus will be asked to comment on proposed policy and forward suggestions for changes to the indicated responsible officer with copy to the appropriate vice president.
Return proposed policy with changes, if any, to the Administrative Council for final reading and recommendation. Responsible officer should be prepared to provide a summary of suggested changes received.
Following review by the Administrative Council, the responsible officer will provide President's Office with a clean copy of policy with all recommended changes and revisions.
President's Office will complete information on signature page to include President's signature of approval.
During periods of time in which Administrative Council does not meet regularly, Administrative Policies may go through the express approval process:
- Through the express approval process, the policy will be sent to the Administrative Council members via email, or another electronic format, for review and feedback.
- The campus will then be asked to comment on the proposed policy and forward suggestions for changes to the indicated responsible officer with copy to the appropriate vice president.
- Return proposed policy with changes, if any, to the Administrative Council members via email, or another electronic format, for final review and feedback. It will be noted at the next Administrative Council meeting, and referenced in the minutes, which campus policies were approved during the hiatus of the council.
- Following the review of the Administrative Council, the responsible officer will provide Presidentís Office with a clean copy of policy with all recommended changes and revisions.
- Presidentís Office will complete information on signature page to include Presidentís signature of approval.
Based on the delegation of authority of the President's Office, the Office of the Vice President of Administration and Finance will maintain a file of all approved university-wide administrative policies and practices. A copy should be sent to the appropriate vice president.
Directory of Administrative Policies
All approved campus administrative policies should be included on the CSUSB home page at the University Policies and Procedures web site. To the extent possible, campus administrative policies will be organized in similar fashion as to other campus and university policy pages.
Based on the delegation of authority of the President's Office, the Office of the Vice President of Administration and Finance will be responsible for ensuring approved administrative policies are posted on the web site in a timely manner.
Based on the delegation of authority of the Presidentís Office, the Office of the Vice President of Administration and Finance will review and update existing campus administrative policies at least every five years, or as appropriate, to ensure they are current and relevant.